Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ricardo Confessori and Rafael Bittencourt tell about "The Rage Of The Waters"



The band Angra is about to launch its seventh studio album "Aqua".

Now, Angra's musicians periodically release their impressions about each track from "Aqua".

This time, Rafael Bittencourt (guitar) and Ricardo Confessori (drums) tell about the fifth track of "Aqua" album, "The Rage Of The Waters".

Ricardo Confessori : "Firstly, I would like to thank for all the support gave for my come back in Angra. Thank you very much to all who cheered for me and always believed in my work, be sure that I gave my blood in every note recorded in "Aqua". I believe it's one of the strongest albums of my career ! Thanks again for the support, this album was made for you !

My greatest contribution in terms of composition was a song that became very strong, impressive !

"The Rage Of The Waters" began with an idea on drums, an african -latino rhythm, to remind one Angra's side which is in our memories forever - the "Holy Land" CD. Taking advantage of the idea of a come back in the band and tests I was used at "Holy Land" time, and also the will to make a recall from the compositional style from this time, this song is a tribute to the importance of Angra on world and Brazilian scene."


Rafael Bittencout : "Ricardo Confessori showed us a home recording with the initial ideas of this song. They sounded very different that they are now, but he had a very clear vision of how it sould sound. It was an interesting process since it had references to "Holy Land", and Felipe and I were trying to make more contemporary. The result was a mix of classical-modern I like very much.

The lyrics was written three times and in common. First one talked about a battle, but did not fit in the context. The second was about the rupture of the friendship between brothers, but this issue was already being explored on the album. Then, I decided to write a summary of the story, but forgiveness, maturity and revenge had been already handled by my friends. I was reading about how Shakespeare love to use the four elements to represent our emotions and intentions.

So after reading the text for the seventh time, I realized that the storm created by Propsero was like a hidden character which was very important. The fury of the waters was the personification of the wrath of Propsero and the transformation of this element. Calm was his mature ability to overcome his feelings of revenge. I also believe that Shakespeare thought that the Age of Aquarius was the forgiveness and understanding between peoples, but this is my personal opinion."

For more news : Whiplash